Wire Rope Balustrade installation - Tips & Advice To Follow
Here we will be providing tips and advice for you to follow when installing your wire rope balustrade.
Stainless steel wire rope balustrade provides an unassuming and unobstructed view to any bordered area, while promoting safety and durability.
If installed correctly and maintained appropriately, stainless steel wire rope balustrade can transform the look of your property with it’s sleek finish, providing a contemporary ambiance to any design.
When installing your wire rope balustrade, it’s important to keep these key points in mind:
- Breaking strains provided for stainless steel wire rope are indicative only.
- Information on this page should only be used as a guide; these may vary according to manufacturing specifications.
- Check tensile strength (Grade) and Minimum Breaking Strain (MBS) at time of order to confirm the appropriateness of information.
- Additional sizes of stainless steel wire rope are available on request.
- If dimensions are critical to your application, please contact us for assistance.
- We assemble and offer hydraulic and roll swaging services and stock and comprehensive list of associated commercial and rated stainless fittings to complete your project.
Further advice for when installing your wire rope balustrade:
- Keep your balustrade straight – do not bend the wire around corners or attempt to fit around angles. If the perimeter of your bordered area is to be enclosed, always start a new straight run.
- Never have a straight run longer than 10 meters.
- Ensure you have a tensioner in each new straight run. This will enable to you tighten any slack which may result over time.
- Your balustrade should not be able to trap a small child or pet. a 100mm diameter sphere should not be able pass through any gap in between your wires.
- Your wire balustrade infill cable must be 3mm diameter minimum. It is recommended to use a 3mm 1×19 strand diameter steel wire.
Wire rope balustrade can be tailored to fit your project requirements, and at Keble’s Trading we stock a variety of wire rope balustrade fittings and stainless steel wire balustrade fittings to appease your project’s needs. Once you have considered the design of your project in accordance with applicable building and safety standards, we can assist you in sourcing your specific components, tools and accessories to complete the job with a minimal amount of fuss and effort on your part.
If you have any other questions about stainless steel wire rope balustrade, including our product range, please contact us on 1800 067 687.
Wire Rope Balustrade Installation FAQ’s
Question: How do you tension a wire balustrade?
Answer: Once your wire rope balustrade is fitted, adjust the tension for each wire using an appropriate tool. Wires should be taught not flexible. Tighten off all lock nuts once tension is finalised.
Question: What is the legal height for wire balustrade as per the building code of Australia?
Answer: Balustrade regulations in Australia are governed by the National Construction Code 2015 (NCC). This code provides guidelines for balustrade construction, materials and heights restrictions. If your deck has a drop off more than 1 meter to the area below, you will need to fit your balustrade in accordance with the NCC guidelines. If your deck has a drop off of less than 1 meter to the area below, then the regulations will not apply to you and will need to determine the appropriate level of safety for your balustrade, taking wire spacing and support posts into account.
Question: Do we need any approval before installing a Wire Rope Balustrade?
Answer: Ensure that you consult your design and drawings with your local council as they vary between councils, and check that your installation satisfies any building code requirements. All installations should consider any other aspects of the build or renovation so that it effectively complements the works and does not cause issues to other aspects of the construction or renovation.